Why Asia is the Hottest Destination for 2018 – And Where You Should Go
Sri Lanka is a beautiful island full of history and natural beauty.
If there’s one way to ease the dreaded back-to-work blues it’s by planning your next adventure. Experts say looking forward to visiting new places and creating new memories is a good way to ease back into the working year.
But with so many options, the hardest part is deciding where to go. Those in the know say Asia is 2018’s hot destination, so we’ve rounded up 10 of the best Asian locations that should be on your bucket list this year.
1) India: The perfect mash-up of ancient history, colour, sound and architecture, this vast nation offers something for everyone. You won’t be able to see all of it, so a good idea is to focus on a certain region. Responsible tourism company G Adventures offers an eight-day Golden Triangle trip (from Delhi to Agra and onto Jaipur) or for something completely different, check out their nine-day river cruise on the Ganges.
2) Laos: Sandwiched between Thailand and Cambodia, this slither of land dominated by the Mekong River is one of Asia’s best kept secrets. Go for the UNESCO-protected temples, stay for the laid-back, friendly locals.
3) Sri Lanka: If sailing is more your thing, then G Adventures’ seven-day sailing trip with a perfect mix of chill-out time and exploration, could be just the ticket. Sail from Mirissa along the southern coast of Sri Lanka enjoying beach towns, historic and remote locations and surfing and snorkeling.
4) Japan: Bring a big appetite to Osaka, Japan’s second largest city, where the city’s motto is kuidaore (eat until you drop). Eating is the main drawcard here, although shopping and a visit to the historic Osaka Castle will fill in time between meals.
5) Borneo: Hands up if this rugged island in the Malay Archipelago has never been on your radar? Well in 2018 it should be. G Adventures’ 12-day journey through this lush land includes national parks, orangutans, a river cruise and a volcano.
6) Korea: If you like your kimchi authentic, your shopping plentiful and your history interesting, then Seoul, the vibrant capital of South Korea, will tick all your holiday boxes.
7) Tajikistan: Never heard of this Central Asian national? A G Adventures excursion will change that. Start in Tajikistan’s capital city, Dushanbe, and roam through the tranquil countryside before ending up in the “Stone City” of Tashkent.
8) Taiwan: From lantern festivals to delicious cuisine, this compact nation has it all. You can’t leave the capital, Taipei, without visiting the iconic Taipei 101 tower, or doing a food walking tour that takes in markets, cafes and the tiny shop where bubble tea was invented.
9) Singapore: It’s always hot, the shopping – from Orchard Road’s mega malls to Little India’s tiny shopfronts – will blow your mind (and your wallet) and you won’t leave hungry, thanks to the range of loud, fun hawker centres and world-class restaurants.
10) Vietnam: Forget spin classes, why not spend 14 days cycling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City with this active G Adventures journey? Not only will you fill your camera’s memory card, you’ll also wind up with abs of steel!